Match Report: Penalty glee for Tony Lee and Poole

Walton Casuals 2

Poole Town 4

Poole Town put a halt to their slump with a convincing win away at Walton Casuals. Two players made their debuts – goalkeeper Tommy Scott was drafted in to cover for the injured Mark Childs, whilst Saints youngster Teddy Davey made his senior debut on the left-flank.

The hosts generated the majority of half-chances in the opening exchanges, but quickly found themselves two goals behind after giving away two innocuous penalties.

Tony Lee earnt the first when he nipped in front of goalkeeper Alfie Jones, who could only collide into the striker on the edge of his area.

Jones almost made amends when he guessed the right way and got a touch to Lee’s penalty, but he could not quite deny Step Three’s top goalscorer.

Lee would have another penalty to convert when again a slightly late challenge felled Will Spetch in the box.

Jones got an even stronger hand to Lee’s second spot-kick, but luckily Lee put enough power behind the shot to convert his second of the afternoon.

It could have been three for both Lee and Poole when Josh Carmichael showed intelligence and skill to quickly loft a free-kick over the top for Lee.

Catching almost everyone out, Lee had plenty of space and time – and perhaps the striker was as surprised as everyone else as he put the ball narrowly wide.

Dolphins were given a scare when their hosts pulled a goal back after 24 minutes. Poole failed to properly clear from an initial corner, eventually allowing left-back Mitchal Gough to slice a shot through a crowd of bodies, evading everyone to end up in the back of the net.

Arguably the goal served as a wake-up call for Poole who went on to dominate the remainder of the first half.

Jones literally had to claw a Tony Lee effort off of the line, before a mazy Brooklyn Genesini run culminated in the Cherries youngster kissing the crossbar with a curling shot.

The half-time whistle served as welcome relief for Walton, but again in the second-half Poole looked in control whilst failing to convert their chances.

Luke Burbidge attempted the spectacular with an overhead kick in the area, but he was well denied by Jones who tipped the effort onto the bar.

Tony Lee also showed acrobatic skill when his seemingly goalbound scissor-kick was well blocked by a Walton defender.

Lee probably thought the was never to score his first Dolphins hat-trick when he smacked a volley onto the post, with Josh Carmichael sending the follow up just wide.

However it would end up being his day, as his persistence paid off when with a scrappy finish after Jones dropped a Burbidge cross.

A counter-attack effectively sealed the game, with Daley bursting through one-on-one. At first he passed Jones but didn’t fancy his luck from the tight angle, going back on himself and drawing the foul from Jones.

Lee stepped up for his third penalty, sending the ‘keeper the wrong way to give Poole daylight.

Walton did not give up and found a consolation when Joe Morrison flicked a looping cross past Scott, but Poole shored up at the back to see out a well earned win.

Poole managed to see out the remaining twenty minutes without little worry, despite both sides chucking men forward in the search of more goals.

Poole: Scott, Rose, Jackson, Spetch (C), Genesini, Holmes (Wickham), Carmichael, Moore, Lee (Fletcher), Burbidge (Chipangura 85′), Davey

Bench: Bedford, Childs (G/K)

Walton: Jones, Chislett, Gough, McAyley (C) (Keetch H-t), Lelan, Morrison, Gordon (Rowe 65′), Osman, Liddle, Comley, Gilbert

Subs: Akers, Janneh, Duncan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: