Match Report: Dolphins exact revenge in eight goal thriller

Poole Town 6

Kings Langley 2

Poole Town outgunned lowly Kings Langley in a contest where attackers dominated and defenders were left in their wake all afternoon, wiping away any memories of the Dolphins’ shock defeat to Kings Langley earlier in the season.

A 15-minute delay to the kick-off slowed neither side down, with both sides attacking with energy from the first minute.

Kings Langley came closest when a shot cannoned off the post early on, with the near miss potentially serving as a wake-up call for the Dolphins.

Poole instantly went up the other end and were practically camped in King Langley’s half for five minutes. Tony Lee had a strong shout for a penalty turned down when he was bundled over from behind whilst chasing a spilled shot, and came closer when he saw an admittedly tame header hacked off the line.

Josh Carmichael kept up the pressure when he had a low drive tipped past the post, before a bombardment of Poole corners lead to a Will Spetch header cleared off the line, with the aide of the underside of the crossbar.

Like Lee before him, Spetch’s next chance was an improvement – as he headed home a Declan Rose cross to give Dolphins the lead.

Poole were now in cruise control, and top goalscorer Tony Lee kept his cool to slot home a one-one-one chance past Lee Axworthy and double Dolphins’ tally.

The second half also bursted into life, with Kings Langley hemming Poole into their own area. The pressure eventually told, with Will Hoskins putting his side right back into the game.

Just like the early pressure in the first half served as a wake-up call, the away side’s goal kicked Poole back into action – with Tony Lee again showing calmness to finish a move one-on-one.

Dolphins continued their control with another goal shortly after – Tony Lee turning provider as he combined with Luke Burbidge. Axworthy got a strong hand to the shot, but it still flew over his head and into the back of the net for Poole’s fourth of the afternoon.

To their credit the away side did not give up, and they set up an interesting finish when Jake Wood tapped home a Eduard Toiny-Pendred cross to give Kings Langley a glimmer of hope.

But again Poole rallied, with Luke Burbidge producing the goal of the game. Showcasing his tight control, Burbidge used his trademark move of dropping the shoulder to steer past Gary Connolly, before sending a thumping shot past Axworthy at the near post.

Dolphins weren’t finished there, with Tony Lee again fed a through-ball and sent one-on-one. Rather than place his effort he went for power – smacking it into Axworthy. Much like Burbidge’s first, the goalkeeper could not keep the ball out, with the shot looping over into the back of the net for his second of the half.

Langley were still undeterred, putting the ball into the back of the net for a third time. Tommy Scott spilled a free-kick, which was duly tapped home – only for the Dolphins to be saved by an offside flag.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: