Match Report: Tony Lee brace seals Poole comeback

Tony Lee backed up his manager’s claim that he is the best striker in the league by scoring two goals to salvage a point for Poole Town against Taunton Town.

Jamie Whisken returned to the side after an absence at the weekend, with Jack Dickson again preferred at left-wing ahead of Jez Bedford.

Despite coming into the game looking much better at the back in recent weeks, Taunton quickly exploitedsome lacklustre defending after just two minutes of action.

It is no secret that the Peacocks are a direct side, but Poole looked surprised when Taunton defender Nick Grimes sent a ball flying over the top.

Ex-Dolphin Toby Holmes was allowed time and space to drive in on goal, cutting it back to strike partner Gethyn Hill who obliged by tapping home his third in three games.

Dolphins would shortly be in further disarray as their guests doubled their advantage before the 10 minute mark.

Peacocks were incisive again, with Gethyn Hill picking up a loose pass intended for Toby Holmes.

Hill then laid it off for Ollie Chamberlain, who used the inside of the far post to guide the ball past Childs and give Taunton a comfortable lead.

Shellshocked by the setback, it took a while for Dolphins to gather themselves. Taunton employed a high intensity press to unsettle the hosts even further, but Poole did eventually grow into the game.

It took a few forays forward until Dolphins would truly threaten William Buse in the Peacocks’ goal.

Corby Moore’s pinpoint cross from a corner found the run of Tony Lee, who headed home his tenth of the campaign.

Remarkably, that was his fifth headed goal of the campaign, and his first shot on target of the evening.

With Poole given a lifeline, the remaining 10 minutes of first half action was a cagy affair.

The half ended prematurely when Luke Holmes collided with Joseph Guest, causing the Poole man to leave the pitch for a concussion check.

Poole initially restarted with 10 men before the first half whistle, but Jez Bedford came on at the break.

Meanwhile Taunton sacrificed a midfielder to conserve their lead, bringing on a third centre-half.

It appeared that Taunton would see out the game when Toby Holmes managed to convince the match official that Will Spetch had bundled him over.

Spetch received his second booking and his marching orders, making Poole’s task that more difficult.

Despite excessive pressure, it looked like Taunton would return to Somerset with all three points deep into added time.

However, the siege on the Peacock’s goal would eventually overcome the numerical advantage.

In a crowded box that included Poole ‘keeper Mark Childs, Lee remained composed to seize the loose ball and fire past Buse for the equaliser.

Dolphins: Childs (g/k), Rose (Fletcher 77′), Jackson, Spetch, Whisken (C), Moore, Bartlett (Carmichael 70′), Holmes (Bedford 46′), Burbidge, Dickson, Lee

Unused subs: Wright, Cazé

Taunton: Buse (g/k), Allen, Grimes (C), Chamberlain, Lucas (Adelsbury 46′), Holmes (McBeam 82′), Sullivan, Guest, Hill, Smith, Richards

Unused subs: Goodall, Staley, Lewington

Goals: Lee 35′, 90+4′; Hill 2′, Chamberlain 10′

Bookings: Spetch 1′, 57′, Dickson 69′; Smith 49′, Guest 73′, Allen 90+5

One thought on “Match Report: Tony Lee brace seals Poole comeback

  1. What a fightback after a dreadful start. All respect to Tommy for replacing a defender with a striker when we were down to 10 men. How many managers would be that brave? Wonderful spirit shown by the whole squad.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: